Features and Amenities
The Gettysburg National Military Park Museum & Visitor Center offers many conveniences to help make your visit enjoyable:
- Accessible parking is located in Parking Lot #1. Accessible drop offs are located in front of the Museum & Visitor Center Bookstore and in Parking Lot #1.
- The Bus Parking Lot is available for all trailer, RV and bus parking.
- Camping trailers can be disconnected from the towing vehicle and parked in the Bus Parking Lot. At least two wheels need to be chocked.
- Visitors traveling in a tractor trailer should find an alternative parking location and take a shuttle to the complex. Freedom Transit shuttle stops many places through town.
- Electric Vehicle Charging Stations. For those using the electric vehicle charging (EVC) stations, the required BAE number is located on the left-hand side of each charging unit. The cost to charge is $1/hour for every hour your vehicle is plugged into the charging station. You will be charged as long as your vehicle is plugged in, so please remember to unplug and move your vehicle as soon as it is fully charged.
Traveling Around the Complex:
- Bicycling is a popular way to travel on the roadways and parking lots at the Museum & Visitor Center. Please park bicycles in the racks provided in Bay #1 of Parking Lot #1.
- There are sidewalks and walking paths for pedestrians, people using wheelchairs and those with baby strollers to safely maneuver around the complex.
Restrooms and Other Accommodations:
- Family restrooms are available in the Main and Group Lobbies of the Museum & Visitor Center.
- Lactation accommodations are located in the lower level for nursing mothers’ comfort and convenience. Access can be requested at the Information Desk or Ticket Counter.
The following designated areas are the perfect backdrop for pausing to enjoy a picnic meal or snack:
- Bus Parking Lot picnic area
- Parking Lot #1 picnic areas
- Ranger Station #3 picnic area
There are no areas designated for camp fires or grilling on the complex.
- Our staff in our Refreshment Saloon, Battlegrounds Café and Snack Attack follow all health regulations to ensure food safety standards.
- Food from outside sources should be consumed in the picnic areas rather than on the patio or in restaurant areas or lobbies.
Comfort, Safety and Accessibility
Below is additional information to make your visit comfortable, safe and enjoyable:
- Come prepared for exploring the outdoors at Gettysburg. It is especially important to stay hydrated and dress for the changing weather.
- Security guards were proactively added to the Museum & Visitor Center with the ever-changing level of security being incorporated at museums and parks around the country. They will help ensure the safety of all visitors to the complex, which accommodates close to a million visitors each year.
- First aid and medical attention are available. Ask any Gettysburg Foundation staff or NPS employee for assistance.
- Wheelchairs can be obtained at the Park Information Desk.
- The Cyclorama painting is accessed via escalator. Accessible accommodations can be made.
- The Cyclorama presentation and battle sounds can be somewhat loud for those sensitive to these types of sounds or loud noises.
- Service animals are welcome in the Museum & Visitor Center. Pets are not permitted inside the Museum & Visitor Center.
- Lost children or adults should report to the Park Information Desk for assistance.
- Lost & Found items may be brought to or identified and claimed at the Park Information Desk. To check on lost items, call the Museum & Visitor Center at 717-334-1124.
- Smoking, e-cigarettes and vaping are permitted only in the smoking areas located at the flag pole plaza, bus parking lot and in personal vehicles.
- Shoes and shirts are required at all times.
Detailed safety guidelines are available.
For the safety of all guests, staff and volunteers, as well as the preservation of this historic property, please observe the following safety/prohibited items policies:
- Bags and containers larger than 16x16x8 inches are not allowed inside the Museum & Visitor Center. Please secure these larger bags/containers in your vehicle.
- All bags and containers on the property are subject to inspection by staff. Guests refusing inspection of bags and containers may not enter the property.
- Items prohibited from Gettysburg Foundation property include the following:
- Weapons/firearms, except qualified law enforcement
- Knives/blades longer than 3.5 inches
- Clubs, hammers, martial arts devices, and related items
- Flammable liquids and gases greater than 0.5 oz
- Fireworks, ammunitions, explosive devices, and related materials
- Paint and related marking materials; spray cans and other aerosols
- Other items deemed dangerous, suspicious, or inappropriate by staff
- Food or beverage, except water
Thank you for your cooperation.
Weather Related Delays and Closings:
- In the event of inclement weather, the Gettysburg National Military Park Museum & Visitor Center may either be closed, delay opening or close early.
- In the event of heavy snow or severe storms, certain roads at Gettysburg National Military Park may be closed.
- Call 717-334-1124 to listen to inclement weather messages and check for closings and delays.