George Spangler Farm
"We really enjoyed the farm. The gentleman that gave the talk was wonderful. Can't wait to come back and see the finished house and barn. Thank you for your help and time talking with us."
Mike Adams and Mana Hill, Indiana
The George Spangler Farm Civil War Field Hospital site is now open to visitors every Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Click here to learn about this year's special programming, including programs, living historians and special presentations.
Rick Schroeder, LBG and Fran Feyock, LBG will offer a special presentation, “The Sick & Injured Troops – Medical Care Then & Now” at the Spangler Farm at 12:30 p.m. on July 3.
The 80-acre George Spangler Farm property, located at 488 Blacksmith Shop Road in Gettysburg Pennsylvania, is one of the most preserved and significant Union field hospitals from the Battle of Gettysburg. Immediately prior to July 1, 1863, the Spangler Farm property was owned by George Spangler and his wife Elizabeth and provided a home and livelihood for the couple and their four children.The Spangler Farm property was a thriving subsistence farm with livestock such as horses, milk cows, sheep and swine and bountiful crops like corn, wheat, potatoes and oats. The Spanglers also had orchards and a thriving garden on their property.
During the Battle of Gettysburg, the serene yet productive home and farm were totally transformed into a place of chaos and crisis for thousands of individuals, including soldiers, surgeons, caregivers, volunteers and the Spangler family. On July 1, 1863 the entire property was converted to a field hospital for the 2nd Division of the 11th Union Army Corps—which later became the main hospital for all wounded corps.
Reportedly, 1,800 Union soldiers and 100 Confederate soldiers were treated at the Spangler property by at least seven Federal surgeons. Confederate General Lewis A. Armistead reportedly died in the summer kitchen located on the farm.
Following the Civil War, the Spanglers’ farm and home were in shambles. The medical team and troops used his fence rails for fuel, his crops and hay to feed soldiers and animals and his lumber and shingles for hospital furniture, makeshift beds and coffins.
During Fall 2015 and Winter 2016, work was done to restore the barn and smokehouse to their original appearences. Check out the work that was done at the site at our blog.