Visit The Gettysburg Battlefield | Maps
  1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content



Collection of Historic Maps

This collection of historic maps highlights the George Spangler farm across a span of time from just after the battle to the early 1900s. These maps illustrate the use of the Spangler Farm as an artillery and ammunition reserve, a burial site for Union and Confederate soldiers, as well as document the development of outbuildings, crops, and use of the property by the family itself.

Early Gettysburg Battlefield Memorial Association Map showing the Union army’s artillery and ammunition reserve located on the George Spangler property. Rendered in 1886, the map demonstrates the large amount of Spangler property that was occupied and ultimately destroyed by this arm of the Union army.

A portion of the Elliot Map that shows the numerous burials across the battlefield. In this section, the George Spangler Farm is clearly visible with 185 Union burials and 20 Confederate burials. Most of these battle casualties were later reinterred in the Soldiers’ National Cemetery.

This 1922 map by J. Warren Gilbert shows the lines of battle from July 1863. The George Spangler Farm is prominently noted near the center of the map. Included on the map are several of the structures of the property, including the farmhouse and barn, as well as the lane leading to the property off Blacksmith Shop Road. Additionally, the 1922 map depicts the locations of the artillery reserve ammunition.

Detail of early Gettysburg historian John Badger Bachelder’s 1863 isometric map of Gettysburg shows the Spangler house, barn, orchard, fields, and lane leading to the farmstead. This area is located near the center of the detail map. North is to the right.

E.B. Cope’s 1863 map shows the location of the George Spangler property with two small squares that are presumably the house and barn.

Warren’s 1868-1869 map of the Gettysburg area shows the George Spangler property. The Spangler orchard was located to the south and west of the house and pockets of remaining woodlands following the battle are marked with dense lines. The location of the drive and the fencing lines are also included.

A detail of Hammond’s 1914 map shows the Spangler farm in more detail than previous maps. The arrangement of the buildings, drive, and orchard is the same, but additional detail has been shown for a second farm path to Granite Schoolhouse Lane and tree line demarcations.